Richard King

Funeral Service: Tuesday, January 04, 2022
Private service by invitation only
Shiva: Strictly Private Shiva. Thank you for respecting the family's wishes.
Donations:
The Richard King Memorial Fund at The Jewish General Hospital Foundation https://jghfoundation.crowdchange.co/14038/page/335467 (514) 340-8251 or to the charity of your choice.

Notes:
To view the time when to join the Zoom, click on the link and the click "Launch Meeting":

Meeting ID: 897 2504 0408
Passcode: 12345

One tap mobile
+16465588656,,89725040408# US (New York)
+16699009128,,89725040408# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 897 2504 0408
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kfeyUngIU

Leave a condolence Share

Yardena and Josh Ungar - 7 days ago

To Joel, Bonnie and the entire King family, please accept our most sincere condolences. We are thinking of you all during this very difficult time. May your memories give you comfort.

Henny Feldman - 8 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and all the family, Holding you in my heart and prayers, and sending heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved Richard. May you find solace and comfort during this difficult time . May his memory forever be a blessing.

Rosemary Segee - 9 days ago

We at Youth in Motion are so sad for the loss of such a wonderful human being. Richard helped us with our bookkeeping and donated books to the community of Little Burgundy he was gentle and so kind. Richard will truly be missed by all of us. RIP

Rhona & Jerry Rosenblatt - 9 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene & Family, Please accept our sincere condolences on the passing of your beloved brother. We are thinking of you during this difficult time.

Pauline Couture - 9 days ago

Although I left Montreal many years ago, I have fond memories of Richard's very articulate contributions to shows I hosted on CBC Radio Montreal, and of being a customer at his beautifully stocked and curated bookstore. I'm very sorry for this terrible loss to the family, but also to the community at large, of which Richard was a pillar.

Linda Saks - 10 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and extended King family, please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your dear brother. The accolades and tributes to Richard are so beautiful. He touched so many lives and in doing so left his mark . May your memories of better times help you through these coming days. Speak of him often and you shall feel his presence.

Lewis Nozetz - 10 days ago

Dear Joel - my condolences to you and your family.

Gary and Richa Freedman - 10 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family, Gary and I send our heartfelt condolences and sincere sympathies on the sad loss of your beloved brother Richard. Richa

Rochelle Cantor - 10 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, Conrad and I would like to express our condolences on the passing of your bother (brother-in law) to you and to the entire family.

Ian & Linda Greenberg - 11 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, please accept our most heartfelt sympathies on the loss of your dear brother and brother-in-law Richard. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

Robert Joseph - 11 days ago

Dear Joel and family, I extend my deepest condolences to you on the loss of your brother. May your memories be a source of comfort during this difficult time. My thoughts are with you. Robert

Bill Bell - 11 days ago

Dear Joel- My history with the King family goes back a while-I was particularly saddened to learn of the loss of your brother Richard-Although we hadn't met I was well aware of his illustrious carrier- Please accept my most heartfelt condolences at this most trying of times- An old friend-Bill Bell

Michael Derkson - 12 days ago

I'm very sad to hear of Richard's passing. I just heard about it this morning. I was privileged to be able to take care of his computers for the last 20+ years. As well, as that, he was always willing to listen and give advice. He will be very much missed by me.

Sandy Lipkus - 12 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene and Family I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved brother. Reading about him and hearing about him on the radio informed me about what a very special person he was. May you be comforted by your memories and from the meaningful times you share together.

Michael Small - 12 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, Please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of your brother and brother in law. We are thinking of you all and sending our love and strength. Susan and Michael Small

Ann Elsdon - 12 days ago

I'll always remember Richard as full of wonderful energy and enthusiasms, but also as someone who at the same time exuded a sense of inner calm, a quiet and absolute competence and reliability in anything he was involved in. And he seized every opportunity to do things he loved. Pursuing graduate studies in European history , setting up Paragraphe bookstore, establishing Books and Breakfast, becoming a broadcaster, and writing books himself, he was never afraid to try out new things. Even, in the 70's, taking on comedic roles in several plays written by Bruce Bailey - which he played with deadpan perfection. He kidded that he was practicing for a career in the Catskills Borsht Belt. Our young families summered on the same beach on Lake Champlain in Vermont in the 80's. Among tons of kids and dogs running riot around him, Richard could sit quietly among the mayhem reading a book for a long time. But then suddenly look up and rise to his feet, and with that wonderful smile become immediately part of the party - the raconteur, the guy with the jokes, the reassuring presence. I feel so privileged to have known Richard and will treasure so many memories of a gracious, talented, and compassionate man. My condolences to all his family, and especially to Nicholas and Deirdre.

Robert Koby - 12 days ago

To Joel and family Very sorry to hear of your brothers passing Condolences from the Koby family

Ron Smith - 12 days ago

Dear Nicolas, Joel and Marlene and Norman and Nicole: I was saddened to learn of Richard’s passing. I have fond memories of Richard in the early 1960s at Camp Kinderland. He was someone that we all looked up to, very talented in so many areas and when I found out we were all cousins, this then young camper felt a little more secure. Wishing you and your families my heartfelt condolences. Ron

Irving and Evelyn Rabinovitch - 12 days ago

Dear Joel and family. We were saddened to hear of your brothers passing. May the good memories you have of him help to sustain you in these trying times. May Richard rest in peace.

Mindy and Irving Schok - 12 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene and family, Please accept our deepest sympathies on the passing of your beloved brother and brother-in-law. May his memory be a blessing to you and your loved ones. Mindy and Irving

Irwin and Sara Tauben - 12 days ago

Dear Joel and Family. Our deepest condolences on the loss of Richard. May you know no more sorrow. Sara and Irwin

Judy and Mark Caplan - 12 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene and family, Please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. Our sympathies are with you at this sad time. Sincerely Judy and Mark Caplan

Sam Shackman - 13 days ago

Dear Joel, Norman and families, Our condolences go out to on the passing of Richard. I didn’t much of Richard over the years but every encounter with him was a pleasant one. May his memory be a blessing. Sam and Kelly Shackman

Nancy Mendelovici - 13 days ago

My deepest condolences to the King family on the death of Richard!

Debby & Matt Newpol - 13 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene and family, We are so sorry for your loss. Please accept our deepest sympathies. Let his memory be a blessing. Debby & Matt

Anita Gabbay - 13 days ago

Dear Joel , Marlene and family Thinking of you in this difficult time. May his memory be a blessing to you and your loved ones. Anita and Rony Gabbay

Florence Mitmaker - 13 days ago

Dear Marlene and Joel, My sincere condolences on the loss of your brother in law and brother. I always enjoyed listening to him on CBC recounting his recommendations on books he recently read. He will be missed by many of his followers. Florence and Ben

Linda and Johnny Mestel - 13 days ago

Sending you strength and comfort at this time. Sincere Condolences on the loss of your dear brother.

Naomi Lapin - 13 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, Norman & family. Our deepest condolences on the loss of dear Richard. I enjoyed listening to Richard on CBC, & last year on MA TV, in an interview with Shelley Pomerance. Laura & Arthur were close friends of my parents, Pearl & Murray, many years ago. Richard’s sense of humor may be inherited from his father, who was a kibbitzer with an infectious laugh which I can still hear. May you have wonderful memories of Richard. Naomi& Jeffrey

Estie Radowitz - 13 days ago

Dear Marlene , Joel & family- Thinking of you at this sad time & sending heartfelt condolences on the passing of your dear brother, brother- in- law & Uncle Richard. May his memory be a blessing. Warmly, Estie Radowitz

Linda Mann Gewurz - 13 days ago

Joel and family, So very sorry to read of the passing of your beloved brother, he really did make a difference in this world. These are very stressful times we are living through and I’m sure the past months were difficult. Know that you are in my thoughts. It is very hard to loose our siblings, the ones you shared your lives with, so cherish all the years of wonderful memories and stay strong.

Renee Schlesinger - 13 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, My deepest condolences to you. I never met Richard, but I heard the most wonderful things about him. Renee

Jacob Kincler and Dida Berku - 13 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, Norman, and your extended family, We enjoyed listening to Richard's book reviews and participate occasionally in breakfast events he organized. He will be sorely missed from the Montreal English literary scene. At this difficult time we share in your grief. May his memory always be a blessing.

Connie & Eric Rose - 13 days ago

Nicky, Deidre, and Mary- Richard was one of a kind, a mensch for sure, but one with incredible enthusiasm, positivity and spirit. Whether you met him on the street or heard him extolling the virtues on CBC of the latest book he had read, his bubbling personality and infectious chuckle always came through. He will be missed.

Natalie Celemencki and Stan Langn - 13 days ago

Dearest Joel and family, our deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. He was an inspirational man, may his memory be a blessing. Fondly, Nat and Stan

Mimi Goldenberg - 13 days ago

My deepest condolences to Richard’s family and close friends. He was a devoted volunteer in the JGH Emergency Department. Richard related to patients in a compassionate and understanding manner. His support and ideas will be missed.

Arlene and David Sternthal - 13 days ago

Dear Marlene and Joel and family, We were so saddened to hear of Richard's passing. His loss will be felt by many as he has made a positive difference to so many people. Please accept our heartfelt condolences. Our thoughts are with all of you. Arlene and David

Steven Deckelbaum - 13 days ago

Dear Joel,so sorry to hear about your brother's death.Elaine and I send our deepest condolences.

Renna Bassal - 13 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene, Sending you my sincere condolences on passing of your dear brother. Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Peter Clement - 13 days ago

Dear Joel and family, Sorry to hear of your great loss. I did not know your brother but from reading the obituary it is clear that he was a true mensch. May you all find comfort and solace before long, in remembering Richard. ‏ברוך דיין האמת

Philip Clement - 13 days ago

Dear Joel - my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. Thinking of you and your family and holding you all in my heart. May the countless memories provide solace and healing, and may his memory be forever blessed. Philip

Stacey Haberkorn - 13 days ago

To Joel, Marlene, Nicholas, Norman, Mary and all extended family, my condolences on the loss of Richard. I worked for him at Paragraphe bookstore for many years while in school, and then later on we became business partners in opening SpaLuxe Beauty Salon. He was someone I always looked up to for advice, whether it be in business or life, and especially what book you read next. I will forever miss him. Take solace in knowing his memory and impact on all those who knew him will live on. He left us too soon. Rest in paradise dear Richard.

Lawrence Zimmering - 13 days ago

Richard was an incredible person and was an integral part of our growing up. His laugh, unconditional acceptance of who we were, and the fact that he was always available for a great conversation stand out. He drove us to Woodstock, he welcomed us to his bookstore. He was a beacon for us and our future. He was always smiling when he saw us. He was a part of us. I am so sorry for your loss. His memory and what he brought to this world will always live on. Lawrence Zimmering

Wendy Corn - 13 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene and family, I am so saddened to learn of Richard's passing. May his memory be a blessing.

harry stilman - 13 days ago

Dear Joel and Norman, We were saddened to learn of Richard’s death. Our family’s connection of course was through Hinda, Ordower, Richard’s step-mother. This made for a meaningful relationship with us. Hinda loved Arthur’s three sons, was a kind mother who often spoke proudly of Richard’s many accomplishments and shared his successes with us. May these memories be a comfort to you. Harry, Anne, Philip and Jacob Stilman.

Rita Schaffer - 13 days ago

My most despairing thoughts on the passing of someone I truly cared for. Richard you will most certainly be missed.

Rhona Veisfeld - 14 days ago

Dear Joel & Family, Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. My thoughts are with you all at this very sad time.

Rhona & George Elias - 14 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene So sorry to hear about the loss of your dear brother. Our heartfelt condolences to you.

Len Miller - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Families. Please accept my deepest sympathies on Richard’s passing. May the family be spared any further sorrows. May he Rest In Peace.

Sheila and Herb Greenwald - 14 days ago

Dear Marlene Joel and FamilyDeepest condolences on Richards death We are sure this is a most difficult time for you all Syay strong Long life Sheila and Herb

Marlene Gerson - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family: my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved brother Richard. Although I did not know him I do know that he leaves behind a rich legacy and treasured memories. I hope this provides some comfort at this difficult time.

Henry Schaffer - 14 days ago

Mesothelioma is what ails me now while Richard had liver cancer, yet when we met at Avenue G coffee shop in September, neither one of us was admitting to our illness. A few days later, on the phone, thinking he was a veteran I asked for his advice. "Hank" he said, "take it one day at a time" Its been my motto ever since. I've know and admired him from his first days with his ex partner Jonathan at Paragraphe until now. He was my first editor, a book critic, writer, volunteer at the Jewish. Our community has lost a truly fine human being and I will miss him intensely. Hank

Gordon Langsner - 14 days ago

I too remember Richard from my time spent at Camp Kinderland in the 60’s. I was his brother Norman’s bunk-mate along with Mark Egan for at least one of those summers and though he was six years older than me, I always thought Richard was one cool guy. My condolences to all.

Lisa Freedman Smith - 14 days ago

Dear Marlene and Joel, Our sincere condolences on the passing of your brother. May your lifelong memories give you strength at this difficult time. Thinking of you, Barry and Lisa Smith and family

Glenn Landry - 14 days ago

I always enjoyed Mr. King on CBC radio and he shared many interesting literary observations and anecdotes. An extremely likeable man and it was with great sadness to hear of his passing. I will always remember him with such respect and fondness. Thank you CBC Radio for bringing Mr. King into our homes, cars and on our walks about town. My sincerest condolences.

Carol Berall - 14 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, Thinking of you at this sad, difficult time and sending heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your dear brother.

Ruth Ickman - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and the entire King family, I never knew Richard but had the pleasure of meeting him when he so kindly offered his boardroom at Paragraphe book store for our book review club meetings. He was so kind and welcomed us warmly each time we met. Please accept our deepest condolences on the loss of a very special man. Fondly, Ruth and Garry Ickman

Abe Gonshor & Annie Young - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene & families. Annie & Abe send you our heartfelt condolences on the passing of Richard. We send you our love at this very difficult time in your lives. May all the cherished memories see you through this sad time. Be well!

Roger Jay - 14 days ago

Richard was the all too rare combination of a mensch and a grownup. We had a lot of fun when he had me install sound systems in Paragraph and in the West Island spa. A cousin by marriage, he always made me proud to say “Hey! I know that guy!” It is sad when a perennial finally passes. Condolences to all his family and limitless group of friends, among whom I was privileged to feel included.

Rhona & Larry Klugerman - 14 days ago

To Joel , Marlene and King family. Our sincere condolences on the loss of Richard. May fond memories sustain you at this horrific time

Louis Rastelli - 14 days ago

A major loss for the Quebec literary community -- I appreciated his openness to carrying my self-published books at Paragraphe in the 1990s, one of so many authors he encouraged. He was also so full of stories and details about Montreal, and left many with us with his own books. Rest in peace Richard, you left us far too soon.

Herbert Blumer - 14 days ago

Joel, Marilyn and I want to offer our sympathies on the loss of your brother. Marilyn and Herb Blumer

Arlene & Lenny Sculnick - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene & family Please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of your dear brother and brother in law. We are thinking about you at this sad time. Arlene & Lenny Scuonic

Sarah Israelovitch - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, My deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your beloved brother. May his memory be a blessing. BDH Sarah Israelovitch

Etty and Ralph Bienstock - 14 days ago

Dear Joel , Marlene and Family. We are so sorry for your loss. Richard was remarkable, May all the cherished memories bring you some comfort at this sad time.

Roz and Harvey Zalcman - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and family, We were very sorry to hear about the loss of your dear brother, brother-in-law, and uncle. We hope that your good memories will be a source of comfort to you. Sincerely, Roz and Harvey

Jane and Larry Plotnick - 14 days ago

Joel, Marlene and King family. Our most sincere sympathies. We cannot imagine how very difficult it must be to lose someone so close, as a brother, irrespective of age. We are certain that he will live on in the hearts of everyone who knew him. May his memory give you strength and instill kindness, compassion, and understanding. Our hearts go out to you and your entire family. We never part with those we love, as they are with us always in heart and spirit. Special blessings to you and yours today and always.

The Schneiders - 14 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene and Family, Our deepest and sincerest condolences and sympathies on your loss. May your family be spared any further sorrow.

Jacob Rothman - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, My sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. He was a gentleman and a very accomplished person. Sincerely, Jacob Rothman

Shawn Apel - 14 days ago

I had the pleasure of speaking to Richard about books on the radio, and about books and so many other things off the radio. He was enthusiastic, generous, passionate, curious, and wonderfully well-informed. He made me read and he made me laugh. I am grateful for the time I got to spend with him, and I will miss him.

Lois Fine - 14 days ago

My deepest sympathies to the family. Sending love and comfort. I have very sweet memories of Richard at family Seders with his quick wit and ready smile, always full of love. Xo

Riva & Carl Gelber - 14 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene, We were most saddened to learn of your beloved Richard's passing & want to express our deepest sympathy to you & your family. May all the splendid memories you created together help sustain you through this challenging time. Warmly, Riva & Carl

Melissa Yi (Yuan-Innes) - 14 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, I'm sorry for your loss. Richard championed my Hope Sze novels on CBC Radio and at Librairie Paragraphe Books. In our brief interactions, I admired his love for creating and reading literature. May his memory be a blessing.

Barbara Roback - 14 days ago

Dear Norman and Joel, Such sad news about Richard. Like many others, I have so many great memories from our summers at camp. Richard was well loved and liked by so many people who knew him from his many pursuits. Thinking of both of you with fondness and love. Barbara Roback

zavie levine - 14 days ago

Dear Joel Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your dear brother. While I did not know him, it appears from the tributes that he was quite an exceptional human being. May your family have only good memories and no further sadness

Reena eisman - 14 days ago

Dear Joel,Marlene and family Seymour and I are very sorry to learn of the loss of your brother ,brother in law and uncle may you and your family be spared any further sorrow. Reena and Seymour eisman

John Degen - 14 days ago

I met Richard through his membership in and dedicated work for The Writers' Union of Canada. For the past two years, Richard served as the Union's Treasurer. His wise counsel and good humour were so greatly appreciated by the Union's staff and National Council. He will be terribly missed. Having worked with Richard only remotely during the pandemic, I was very much looking forward to seeing him again in person. I'm sad to miss the opportunity. He was a great individual in Canada's writing, publishing, and bookselling world. John Degen, Executive Director The Writers' Union of Canada

Marilyn Golfman - 14 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene, Our deepest sympathies to you and your family upon the loss of your brother. Marilyn & Walter Golfman

Sandra and Phil Gutherz - 14 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene. Please accept our heartfelt and sincere condolences on the passing of your dear brother. May all your fond memories help sustain you through this difficult time.

Estelle Kaminsky Rosenthal - 14 days ago

I volunteered with Richard at the JGH He was always a very sensitive & caring gentleman RIP my friend Essie/Estelle

Natalie & Stan Bassel - 14 days ago

Dear Marlene, Joel and family. Our condolences on the passing of Richard. Keep his wonderful memories alive forever. May your family be spared any further sorrow.

Dora and Ron Bloomberg - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and Family, Our Deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved brother and brother-in-law. May your fond memories of Richard be a source of comfort to you always. Dora and Ron

Abe and Adele Tevel - 14 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family: Sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved brother and brother-in-law. We remember meeting him many times when he visited you at your home We hope that the beautiful memories that you shared together be a comfort to you and your family.

Harriet Lipson - 14 days ago

Dear Joel and Norm, Reading Richard’s obituary and the many expressions of condolence brought me back to Lake Alverna, our special summer enclave where we stockpiled a lifetime of memories. While words like idyllic and halcyon may spring to mind, I’m thinking that we were all uniquely lucky to have shared that time and place. Please accept my sympathy for your loss. With warm affection from Harriet

Fran Yagod - 14 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene. My condolences on the loss of your brother. May you be spared further sorrow. Fran

Bobbi Jo Hart - 14 days ago

My deepest condolences to Richard King's family and all those who knew him. I had the honour to meet him recently and we spent the day together filming an episode of "We're All In This Together", a web series I directed to support isolated seniors during the pandemic. Richard mentioned he was facing health issues, so we postponed filming, but he really wanted to participate, so we filmed the episode a couple months later, in Fall 2021. He also introduced me to the wonderful nurse Maggie Quinsey, with whom we filmed that day as well in front of the JGH. In Richard King's honour, I would like to share this episode, which reveals not only the depth of his phenomenal talent, but also his kindness, childlike curiosity and deep humanity. I was so honoured to have met him and spent together. I send warm thoughts to those sitting Shiva this week. May he rest in peace, and may we all carry his kind spirit forward to help those in need, each and every day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDvA7AwByAs

Judy and Eli Cohen - 14 days ago

Dear Joel,Marlene and King Family Our most sincere condolences to you on the loss of your dear Brother Judy and Eli Cohen

Randi Woloz - 14 days ago

My deepest condolences.

Lesley Rubinoff - 14 days ago

So sadden by the news of Richard passing. Sending an abundance of love to his family and friends. Richard was an asset to me and my bussiness and I surely was a pain the butt to him, but he always put up with me!!! He will be missed

Glenda Lisbona - 14 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene. Our deepest sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your dear brother and brother-in-law. We hope your good memories help to get you through this difficult time. Our thoughts are with you. Glenda and Andre

Lisa Mendelovici and Sean Butler - 14 days ago

Our deepest and sincerest condolences and sympathies on your loss

Ellen Klaiman - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family, My sincere condolences to you. May your fond memories help you through this difficult time. Ellen Klaiman

Aviva Ptack - 15 days ago

I am one of the Holocaust survivors who was privileged to have Richard as the co-author of my story.I can tell you that Richard was not only a talented writer but also a most empathetic,kind,generous, and humorous writing partner and editor. I am shocked to read of Richard’s death. We have lost a wonderfully accomplished Gentleman. My condolences go out to his whole family and to Mary his loving partner. RIP dear Richard. Aviva Ptack

Staviss Family - 15 days ago

Our deepest and sincerest condolences and sympathies on your loss. We had the pleasure of meeting Richard on several occasions as he co-wrote a book on the Holocaust with my Father-in-Law. Harold, Aviva (Reinitz), Reuby and Marney

SandraKramer - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family. My deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. May his memory bring you comfort.

Riva & Andrew Toeman - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene & family, Our sincerest condolences on the loss of your brother. May you be spared further sorrow. Riva & Andrew

Julian Lewin - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and family, I wish to extend my condolences on the passing of Richard. May his memory be a blessing.

D'Arcy O'Connor - 15 days ago

The loss of a beautiful man with a beautiful mind ! I've known Richard in different places at different times: Montreal and Alburg , Vermont, in the '80s and'90s when our families played together. and most recerntly in St. Henri when we became accidental neighbours. I'll miss our great conversations - especially Richard's witty and apt one-liners. My heart goes out to Deirdre and Nicholas.

Jennifer Silver - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family, Extending my heartfelt sympathies on the loss of your brother and uncle. My thoughts are with you , Jen

Sydney Becker - 15 days ago

Family of. Richard, please accept my sincere condolences on your loss . Richard and I went back along way. May all your memories sustain you and see you through this difficult time. R.I.P.

deenalil caplan - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene, Joel and Family, I am so sorry to read the sad news! My sincerest sympathy to you and your family and may you have no more sorrow. LONG LIFE to ALL!

Michael Crelinsten - 15 days ago

On behalf of the Jewish Public Library, may I express our profound condolences to Richard's family. He was a valued member of the JPL as well as a contributor to our JI Segal Awards programme and the Library as a whole. His impact in promoting literacy extended beyond Montreal to the global community.

Mark and Edna Mendelson - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene and Joel, Our heartfelt condolences on the very sad loss of your dear brother(in law) Richard. May you be comforted by the wonderful memories you have of him-Yehee Zichroh Baruch-May His Memory be For a Blessing.

Kathy & Paul Mandelos - 15 days ago

Our deepest sympathy and heartfelt thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Bryan Demchinsky - 15 days ago

Richard was a great friend to readers and writers in equal measure. He will be remembered.

Ida & Bernie Spector - 15 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene: Our heartfelt condolences at this very difficult time. May you know no more sorrow and may the good memories give you some comfort. Thinking of you. Ida & Bernie

Susan and Seymour Blicker - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Norman, Nicholas, Mary, and families Richard and I always said we were each other’s oldest friends. Our mothers were best friends, we played together since we were babies. and we had many years of fun together in Alverna. We stayed very loosely in touch for all these years, always remembering each other’s birthdays, having a really great conversation every once in a while, and a memorable dinner with Mary a few years ago. We always felt that strong bond from babyhood. I will miss my oldest friend. Seymour and I send out most heartfelt condolences to you all. Our thoughts are with you at this very sad time. Susan

Richard and Mayme Vineberg - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and King family. Our deepest sympathies on the loss of your brother Richard. We hope that fond memories of your good family times together will help you through this difficult period. Richard and Mayme

Joseph Werner - 15 days ago

To the King family, the name said it all, he was a King of Kings, a true reflection of who he really was. Never, in my encounters with his intelligence did I ever receive a poor response or a questionable one. Like all reining Kings, the unfortunate ending is bitter/sweet. A blessing is in order for a fine gentleman.

Sonny Bernard - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. Sonny

candi Shatilla - 15 days ago

Dear King Family Eric and I want to extend sincere condolences on the loss of Richard .May his memory be forever blessed . Candi and Eric Shatilla

Eva Kuper - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, My most sincere condolences to you and your family on this profound loss.

Peggy and Earl Fixman - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family: Our sincerest condolences on the loss of your brother. Cherish the memories. Peggy and Earl

Dany Pollack - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and family, My most sincere condolences to you all. Dany Pollack

Koula & Steve Matlin - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and Family, we send your our sincere condolences to all of you. May Richard's memory be a blessing and may your family be spared further sorrows.

Evelyn Wajcer - 15 days ago

To all the King family: may you know no more sorrow.

Kathryn Kis - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your brother. May all your wonderful memories be a comfort during this difficult time.

Peter and Gail Prupas - 15 days ago

We send our sincere condolences to you,Joel, Marlene , and family on the loss of your dear brother, brother in law and uncle. Peter and Gail Prupas

Nancy & Allan Samberg - 15 days ago

Dear Joel & Marlene, Our deepest sympathies on the passing of Richard, your dear brother & brother-in-law. Nancy & Allan

Harriet Eisenkraft - 15 days ago

My sincere condolences to Richard's family and circle of friends over his death. He was a remarkable mensch, who grew up around our family in N.D.G., and then was close to my late brother, Gary Eisenkraft, through his work at the various Penelope clubs that Gary ran in the 1960s. As such, after Gary died, Richard became a stalwart support to me at a difficult time, and as wove together the history of the times and the music scene in Montreal. He was wise, funny, compassionate and - as recently as last spring - was in touch with me and a new generation of people doing the same work. I loved our conversations, and his very warm wit. May Richard's memory be for a blessing.

Michael Cohen - 15 days ago

Like many others, I remember Richard and his brothers from my days at Camp Kinderland and crossing paths at Paragraphe bookstore. And, of course, his wonderful radio book reviews. Very sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to the family.

Kathy and Gerry Shtull - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family. Please accept our deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. May you spared any further sorrow.

Marlene Shama - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family, My sincere and heartfelt condolences on the loss of Richard. May your fond memories help you through your most difficult times May his spirit always surround you with love and his memory be for a blessing. BDE

Esther & Sydney Marovitch - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene, Joel & family, Condolences on the loss of your dear brother & brother-in-law. May his good memory be a blessing. Sincerely, Esther & Sydney Marovitch

Gloria & Rick Leckner - 15 days ago

Dear Norman, Joel , Marlene and families, Although we did not know Riichard as we knew Norman and Joel, reading the tributes certainly shows us what a legacy he has left. Our sincere sympathies on the loss of your beloved brother. May his memory be your guiding light for all future generations. Sincerely, Gloria & Rick

Debbie Basevitz - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family So sorry to hear of your loss Our most sincere condolences Debbie and Ellis Basevitz

Nona & David Moscovitz - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family. Our deepest sympathies for your loss. May all your memories give you some comfort and strength at this very difficult time. Nona & David

Alvin Segal - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene & the entire Family, Please accept our sincere condolences on the loss of your brother Richard. I know you were a very close family, may the good memories comfort you at this time. Emmelle & Alvin

Felicia Jacobs & family - 15 days ago

Joel, Marlene, Gail, Steph, Bonnie and family, we are so deeply sorry for your loss. Hoping that the memories of good times bring you all comfort in the days ahead. Thinking of you all, Felicia, David, Matt, Jord and Ryan

Alice/Harold Lehrer - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and family. Our sincere condolences on the loss of your dear brother, brother-in-law and uncle. May you be comforted by the rich memories of his lifetime. Alice & Harold

Mark Egan - 15 days ago

Shocked and sorry to hear about Richard. Sincere sympathy to the family. My memories of Richard go back 64 years to Camp Kinderland at 14 Island Lake in The Laurentians - of a towering, smiling personality.

Mina Stark - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, My sincere condolences on the loss of your brother and brother-in-law, Richard.My thoughts are with you. Mina

Rachel & Fred Litwin - 15 days ago

To Joel King & family, our sincere condolences on your loss.

Sue Smith - 15 days ago

I am so surprised and saddened to learn of Richard’s death. As a regular book columnist he was always a lively and interesting guest, those intelligent eyes twinkling across the desk from me. But it was outside the studio during our regular chats over the years that I got a glimpse into his keen sense of humour, his deep roots in Montreal, and his zest for living his life to the fullest. He had so many projects on the go that he was so enthusiastic about. Generous to a fault, I owe many of the books on my shelves to Richard. I will miss him. My deepest sympathies to Mary and his family.

Vicki and Marshall Coblentz - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene and Joel and Family, please accept our heartfelt and sincerest condolences on the loss of your brother and brother-in- law. Our thoughts are with you and we wish you strength in keeping his memory in your hearts and minds always. Wishing you no more sorrows.

Gail Small - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, My condolences on your loss. While I never met Richard, I as many others, had the pleasure of hearing him often over the radio.

Hena Kon - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, My condolences to you on the passing of Richard. What an exceptional man who lived life to the fullest, with passion and purpose and pleasure. He enriched the lives of all those who had the pleasure of knowing him, and you, in turn, enriched his. May you be comforted by your memories,

Carole Rocklin - 15 days ago

Irving Rothstein - 15 days ago

Dear Joel Marlene and family I wish to express my most sincere condolences on the loss of your brother and brother in law I trust he has left you with many fond memories to get you through these very difficult times

Deborah Corber - 15 days ago

To Joel, Marlene and the entire King Family, my condolences on the loss of your beloved brother. May you be comforted by a lifetime of cherished memories, and the loving embrace of family and friends, and may your brother’s memory be for a blessing, always.

James Allister - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Norm So sorry to hear that Richard has passed. Our memories go back a very long way. The Kings,Dainows,and the whole Alverna crowd are part of my history and now after 70+ years ,it is very sad when one of us leaves. My sympathies to you and your families Richard made a difference.to his community Jamie Jamie

Ernie Dainow - 15 days ago

I’ve lost my oldest friend. When I was five years old, the Kings bought a cottage at Lac Alverna in the Laurentians where we spent our summers. It was a small community and Richard and I were best friends for many years, even though he was older than me (by 3 days). I left Montreal after graduating from McGill and lost touch with Richard for many years. Just last year we reconnected through the Internet and had many wonderful conversations via email and zoom. Finding Richjard again and enjoying several of his books has been a bright spot in an otherwise dismal pandemic year.

Valerie Schneidman - 15 days ago

Richard was truly a cherished and dedicated volunteer in the JGH Emergency. He had a special way with patients and families and was greatly appreciated by all the staff. He will be missed.

Victor Salem - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family: My deepest sympathies on the loss of a brother, brother in law and uncle. May your fond memories of Richard sustain you in these most difficult time. May you see no further sorrow.

Kitty Samberg & Jack Hopkins - 15 days ago

To the entire King family, We were saddened to hear about Richard's passing and send our sincere condolences to everyone. May you be comforted by the many wonderful memories you now have to cherish.

Peter Lebensold - 15 days ago

We're losing all the good ones. I first met Richard decades ago through his cousin Melanie, but - having moved to Toronto - I failed to keep in touch. Yet, I was able to follow at least some of his career through his books. Montreal's English-language literary community has lost a generous and powerful champion. May the memories he leaves behind be a comfort to his family and friends.

Cheryl Cossman Merling - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart is with you at this difficult time. May the memories of Richard bring you comfort.

Estie Kleinfeld - 15 days ago

Dear Joel , Marlene and family. My heartfelt condolence on the loss of your brother, brother in law, father, partner and uncle. Hopping that the memories you all share and the good times you had, will help ease you pain. Thinking of you, Estie

Irwin Block - 15 days ago

It comes as a total shock to learn that we will no longer be hearing Richard's rich and passionate book reviews on CBC Radio. His dedication to books, from his time at Classics to co-founding Paragraph, taking over the former Mansfield Book Mart and building it into a true institution for our writers was monumental. What a guy, what a great loss to our community.

Myra Khaner David - 15 days ago

My most profound condolences go out to the family of Richard. Ours was a new friendship, connecting through Facebook but with deeper roots in Camp Kinderland. What a fine, kind, gentle human being he was. May all your memories of times well spent bring you solace during these sad times.

Laurene Rojas-Jardin - 15 days ago

I worked with Richard on CBC Radio's afternoon show(s) Let's Go and Homerun. In this role, Richard went above and beyond to make sure his time on air was memorable. Undeniably an intellectual, Richard's talent was to make information he held in his brain--be it a break down of a 700 page historical fiction he read in a day or memories from Woodstock--palatable for anyone listening. On air, he was kind, relevant and relatable. Off air he was the same. To Richard's beautiful family, I extend my condolences. My CBC colleagues and I have lost a friend, but Richard's legacy will be remembered in the hearts of all who have had the opportunity to get to know this books guru and amazing storyteller.

Morrie and Barbara Fogelbaum - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, We were sorry to hear of Richards passing. May the warmest of memories and Richards achievements bring you comfort at this sad time. With heartfelt condolences - Morrie and Barbara

LayaFeldman - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, My heartfelt condolences on the passing of your brother/brother-in-law.I wish you and your family inner strength during this very difficult time. Laya Feldman

Linda Leith - 15 days ago

So shocked and saddened by the news about dear Richard. Sending condolences to all family and friends.

Sheila Silverberg - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene My sincere condolence on the loss of your brother. Hang on to all the good memories you had together Sheila

Mike Boone - 15 days ago

I knew Richard and his brothers, Joel and Norman, since our days at Camp Kinderland. Decades later, he was my neighbour on Côte Ste Catherine. I always enjoyed schmoozing with him at Paragraphe. Richard was a bright, funny and kindhearted guy. A mensch who will be missed

Stephen Rosen - 15 days ago

My Sincere Condolences.............................

Frank Chalk - 15 days ago

Richard and I first met when he studied history at Sir George/Concordia. His quickness and empathy showed early, but I wish that I had known that his mother had died when he was so young, as it would have explained his youthful skepticism. We became reacquainted just a few months ago after I watched his interview for the series "We're All in This Together." {https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDvA7AwByAs] We spoke by phone for about 45 minutes and talked about his current book project and plans. As usual, he was full of life and remained a man for all seasons. Rest in peace, Richard; I will miss you. My condolences to Richard's family and friends!

Susan Haberkorn - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, My deepest condolences to all your family on the Very sad loss of Richard. May all your memories Give you comfort during this difficult time Love Susan

Dorothy Yellin - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Arlene and King Family,, Very sorry to read of the passing of your dear brother/brother in law. My sincere condolences at this very sad news. May you be spared further sorrow. Long life to you all. Dorothy Yellin

Lois and Bernie Grossman - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, Our heartfelt condolences on the loss of your brother and brother-in-law. May wonderful memories sustain you during this difficult time. Lois and Bernie

Ruth Kertesz - 15 days ago

Dear Joel , Marlene and family My heartfelt condolences on the sad loss of your brother and brother in law .. May you all be spared from any further sorrow and may his memory be for a blessing .. My thoughts are with you … Sending hugs ..

Arlene Granich Rosen - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene, Joel & ENTIRE family: My deepest condolences on the very sad loss of your beloved Richard. May fond memories of happy times together throughout the years, in time, help ease your pain. Wishing you Health & Strength & no more sorrow. Sincerely, Arlene Rosen

Barbara Lang - 15 days ago

Dear King Family, My sincere condolences on the passing of Richard. He was a very special volunteer giving of himself to the many patients and staff that came and worked in the ER Dept. of the JGH. He loved his volunteer work. May your fond memories sustain you during this difficult time. Barbara

David Homel + Marie-Louise Gay - 15 days ago

Hey, Richard, I know you're still out there, with us, somewhere. Many good memories of Nicki and Gabriel and Avery as kids at your place in upstate New York. Of course you and Jonathan Penny were beacons for us beginning (now, not so beginning) writers in Mtl. Never gone, never forgotten.

Roz Wiener - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, Our deepest condolences to you and your family on the sad loss of your brother Richard. May your good memories give you solace during this difficult time. Roz and Sam

Carly Berlin - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and family, My deepest condolences to all of you. Richard was such a smart, friendly, sweet person. May his memory be for a blessing and may your family be spared further sorrow.

Robin Philpot - 15 days ago

This is very sad news. I only got to know Richard when he submitted his mystery novel series to Baraka Books in 2019. We immediately struck up a great friendship. He had a great sense of humour and was a wonderful storyteller, as the two novels published in 2020, and 2021 and the third in the series to appear in April show amply. Until the end, he continued to have projects in mind and was talking to me about them until December. We will miss him enormously. My most sincere condolences to Richard's family and friends.

Trevor Ferguson - 15 days ago

When once I was a young writer in Montreal, the support of the subterranean Paragraph store was imperative. When we were raised to ground level, the Paragraph and Richard King were elemental to our good years. Richard succeeded where so many did not and had his own good years and supported the good times of others. We remember him well.

Sabrina Marandola - 15 days ago

Such heartbreaking news. Richard always had a kind word to offer and his eyes shone so bright when talking about books! He taught me that passion is contagious. I cannot believe that we last spoke only 3 weeks ago. I wished him a happy holiday on-air and said I was looking forward to our next chat in January. He replied that his Books segments on CBC Radio were a highlight of his life. He will be so very missed. Deepest condolences to all his loved ones. Xoxo

Anita Anand - 15 days ago

To the family of Richard King: I am deeply sorry to hear of his passing. He was a very important person in my life, first as the loveliest boss I'd ever had at Paragraphe Bookstore, then as a patient listener to a troubled person ( a member of my own family) who must have instantly sensed his giant heart -- then, to my surprise, as my book reviewer many years later. He said the kindest things, because that was the kind of person he was. The last conversation I had with him was about his work as a volunteer at the Jewish General Hospital. He just loved helping people. He will be greatly missed.

Molly Hilsenrath - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene and Joel, so sorry to hear of Richard’s passing. My sincere condolences.

Moya Bryce-Buchanan - 15 days ago

My Dear Mary, I was so sorry to hear the sad news about Richard. I never met him but knew how much he was part of your life. Always so much harder during a festive season as you know it was the same with David. Just to say I am thinking of you and his family. Please give them my condolences. He sounds like a remarkable and interesting man. Our thoughts are with you…The BB clan ❤️

Anne and Manny Kalles - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and Family, We are so sorry to read about the untimely passing of your brother and brother-in-law, Richard. Our shared memories with you and Richard go back to BBYO, Sir George, Paragraph Books and family. Words are never enough, but please know that we are sending you our deepest condolences at this very difficult time. Anne and Manny

Ami Sands Brodoff - 15 days ago

Richard will be deeply missed but his legacy will live on. He contributed so much to Montreal’s literary community and Paragraphe Books is a jewel. He will always be remembered. A great loss to our community.

Andreas Kessaris - 15 days ago

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Richard was a friend, advisor, mentor, and supporter. He will be greatly missed.

alan hustak grasslands news - 15 days ago

We mourn his passing... he was a powerhouse....

Rana Bose - 15 days ago

Deeply affected by the passing of Richard. He was iconic for Montreal, profoundly progressive and keen observer of serious writing... my condolences to the family. He had just published another novel..

Sauline Letendre - 15 days ago

Condolences to the King family. I worked at Paragraphe during my studies in the early 90s, and Richard was a wonderful boss. I have had the pleasure of listening to him on CBC over the years. His memory will live on in his many publications.

Howard Greenfield - 15 days ago

The essential Montrealer. Our literary and cultural life is measured out, not with coffee spoons, but with bookmarks from his Classics days to Paragraphe and beyond. Condolences.

Jonathan Penney - 15 days ago

My deepest condolences to Joel, Marlene, Norman and Nicholas. Richard and I created Paragraphe Bookstore in the 1980s. Richard and his family were instrumental in helping us survive some of the toughest financial times to ensure that Paragraphe survived and, is,still around in 2022. In the last few years, I lost touch with Richard , but I could still hear him on CBC, reviewing a myriad of different books. Very sad news indeed.

Franceen and Allan Finesilver - 15 days ago

Dear Joel,Marlene and Family,Allan and I send our sincere condolences to all of you on the passing of Richard.May the love of Family and close friends help you through this very sad time.BDE. Warmly,Franceen

Bryna Hersh - 15 days ago

Dear Joel; Marlene and the King Family; Sincerest condolences to you and your family on the loss of a dear brother, brother-in-law, uncle and great uncle., Richard.. May the memories you hold dear be a source of comfort to you at this sad time. Bryna Hersh and Family

Sam and Kathleen Lazare - 15 days ago

Dear King Family..our sincere condolences to you all at this most difficult time. Sam and Kathleen Lazare

Arlynn Elmaleh - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene, Joel and family our deepest condolences to you all, our thoughts are with you Arlynn and Maurice Elmaleh

Joey and Sandy Schreter - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and Family Wishing you our deepest sympathies for the loss of your beloved brother. We are thinking of you during this sad time. Cherish all your beautiful memories. Sincerely Sandy and Joey

Elise Moser - 15 days ago

Richard was a very big part of my life and the life of the book-loving community in Montreal, and I can't quite believe he is not with us any more. My heartfelt condolences to all who loved and cared for him. His absence is vividly felt.

Mark Abley - 15 days ago

I'm very sad to hear of Richard's passing. He fought his final battle with great courage and honour. Montreal's writers and readers will be in his debt for many years to come -- not only because of his groundbreaking work at Paragraphe and for CBC Radio, but also because of his own novels and nonfiction. I know how moved he was by volunteering in the ER of the Jewish General Hospital -- a typical act by a true mensch.

Frema Routtenberg - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and family, Mark and I send our heartfelt condolences at this time. May u be spared further sorrow and May your fond memories sustain you. ❤️Frema

KATHY ASSAYAG - 15 days ago

My deepest condolences to the family for the loss of Richard zl. May you be comforted during this difficult time

Naomi Putterman - 15 days ago

Marlene and Joel and family I’m truly saddened by your loss. He was a stellar inspiration and I know he’ll be missed. Naomi and Mika and Erin

Terry and Aron Steinman - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and families, Our sincerest sympathies on the loss of your dear brother, Richard. May the fond memories comfort you at this time. May you be spared further sorrow. Fondly, Terry and Aron Steinman

Philip and Barbara Silverberg - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family. Please accept our condolences. We only knew Richard through his wonderful CBC reviews. May his memory be a blessing. Philip and Barbara

Danielle Sultan - 15 days ago

Dear Joel,Marlene &Family my sincerest condolences on the passing of your brother z’l’, Baroukh Dayan Haemet

Paula Sacks - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene and family. Please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved Richard. May the many memories of this truly remarkable man comfort you in your time of sorrow. Fondly, Paula

Michael Woloz - 15 days ago

Dear Joel Marlene and family, we are so sorry for your loss. May his memory be a blessing. Mike & Toby Woloz

Fred Arshoff - 15 days ago

My deepest condolences to his family and friends, I enjoyed listening to Richard very much on CBC Lets GO / I found he gave great book reviews. BDE

Matthew Poplaw - 15 days ago

Joel, my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother . May his memory be a blessing.

Anne Ghoddoussi - 15 days ago

Dear Family of the late Richard King . I did not know Richard personally, but I grew fond of his books, and when I found out there was a new novel on Amazon I would buy it and read it. My deepest condolences to his family. May his memory be a blessing, Rest in Peace.

Gloria and Alan Maislin - 15 days ago

Please accept our deepest condolences

Susan & Howard Barza - 15 days ago

Dear Mary, Joel & Marlene, Norman & Nicole & Family, We are deeply saddened by the news of Richard’s passing and extend our heartfelt sympathy to you all. Erudite and cultured, Richard was a delightful and engaging dinner companion recounting colourful stories ranging from his experience at Woodstock to an evening spent with Margaret Atwood—all told with his sparkling sense of humour. Richard’s sensitivity and compassion was best reflected by his devoted years of service at the JGH as a volunteer. He will be greatly missed. May you find peace and solace in all the warm, rich memories he leaves behind. Love, Susan & Howard

Billy Booth - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family. Please accept my deepest condolences on Richard's passing. This must be a most difficult time for your family. May you be comforted by a lifetime of good memories.

Helena minkoff - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family. So sorry to read of your brothers passing... Sounds like he was a very special person... Cherish the happy memories, and , and I wish you strength during the days ahead... Sincere condolences. Helena and Marvin

Rena (Lazanik) Bernstein - 15 days ago

Marlene, Joel and family. My sincere condolences on the passing of Richard. Having left Montreal over 40 years ago. I was unaware of his accomplishments in the literary field. He left a big footprint. May you be spared further sorrow. Rena Bernstein

Shirley & Philip Lassner - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and the whole King family. We send you all our sincere condolences during this difficult time. May you be spared further sorrow and may Richard's memory be a blessing forever. BDE. Love, Shirley & Phil

John Aylen - 15 days ago

Richard was a dear friend and collaborator on a number of books. His death is a great loss to so many. He was like a brother and we enjoyed many lunches together at the Burgundy Lion and dinners with Mary as part of our book club. Rest in peace, dear Richard. I will miss you profoundly.

Gail Goldstein - 15 days ago

My deepest condolences to the family. I read many of Richard's books. He was a great writer! May his memory be a blessing. Gail Goldstein.

Susie and Steven Cummings - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, We are so sorry to learn of the passing of your brother Richard. Please accept our deepest sympathies. Sincerely, Susie and Steven

Janis Lee Levine - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, My deepest sympathy on the loss of Richard. I often listened to his Book reviews on CBC and enjoyed his wit and insight. Thinking of you At this difficult time. Janis

Ilana Keeb - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, and family, My sincere concodolences on the loss of your dear brother.

Cathy Simons - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and family, Please accept my deepest condolences on the passing of your much loved brother and brother in law. May you be spared further sorrow.

Ellen Pesner - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and king family, My deepest sympathies on the passing of your brother Richard. May you know no further sorrow.

Linda MillerShacter - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, Norman , Nicole, Nicholas and family: Sincerest sympathy on your loss. Please know that we are thinking of you at this very sad time. Love, cousins Linda and Norm

Arthur K Newman - 15 days ago

Joel and family our deepest condolences,Diane and Arthur

Joy & Jeff Bultz - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, Norman and King family, extending our heartfelt condolences to you and your entire family on the loss of your beloved brother. Please know we are thinking of you during this most difficult time. Sincerely, Joy & Jeff

Susan and Kenny Corber - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene and families, ברוך דיין האמת Our sincere sympathies on the loss of your beloved brother. We hope that your many beautiful memories of times shared together will be a source of comfort at this sad time. הַמָּקוֹם יְנַחֵם אֶתְכֶם בְּתוֹךְ שְׁאַר אֲבֵלֵי צִיּוֹן וִירוּשָׁלַיִם May Hashem comfort the family among the mourners of Zion and Yerushalayim

Anzie and Barry Stein - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and family, We were so saddened to hear the news of Richard's passing. Our heartfelt sympathies to you all. We admired Richard greatly for his love of books, reading, and more recently writing and publishing so that others would continue to share his passion. We hope that your entire family will be spared further sorrow for a very long time and that cherished memories of him will help you through this difficult time. Barry & Anzie

Debby and Manny Vineberg - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene, and family, Deepest sympathies on the loss of Richard. May the memories of his life and accomplishments be a source of comfort to you all at this difficult time. Debby and Manny Vineberg

Arlene Mosse - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene , Joel and family. My sincere condolences on the loss of your dear brother. Arlene

Pam Litman - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene and Family, My sincere condolences on your loss. May your fond memories be a source of comfort at this sad time. Pam

Sandy Stein - 15 days ago

Dear Joel, Marlene and the King Family, My deepest sympathy to the entire family. I wish you all strength. Sincerely Sandy Stein

Essie and Morris Liquornik - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, Our deepest sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your brother and brother-in-law. Out thoughts are with you at this sad time. Warmly Essie and Morris

Hannah and Carl Abramovitch - 15 days ago

Dear Marlene and Joel and family Our sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. Know that your wonderful memories will help you through this difficult time. May you know no more sorrow Hannah and Carl

Leonard Katz - 15 days ago

I remember Richard from school. He was always smiling. May you have no more sorrow. May you only have good memories. Leonard Katz

Adeline Slapcoff - 15 days ago

Dear Family…..I am devastated, to say the least, to see that Richard passed away……I worked at Paragraphe for almost 20 years at the beginning……and Richard helped me tremendously…..this was the beginning of computers …..we were like family, I think of him often and will miss him …..treasure your wonderful memories…..and Richard….rest in peace……Adeline

Susan Elias - 15 days ago

Dear Joel and Marlene, and Norman and Nicole, My deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved brother and brother-in-law. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Bruce Vineberg - 15 days ago

My sympathies on the passing of Richard. A true gentleman. I remember working with him and John in relocating Paragraph to the Molson house. Always friendly and polite.